2.12.2010

art vendor





Today I bring you the Art-O-Mat, or “retired cigarette vending machines that have been converted to vend art.” I’ll admit it; I get sheer pleasure from inserting one of the shiny gold tokens, pulling the knob, and retrieving my prize. I feel like a kid again. For only five bucks, you get an original piece of art. Fantastic! I also love that every machine is unique. I had the pleasure of meeting Art-O-Mat creator, Clark Whittington, when he did an Art-O-Mat installation at Sam Flax a few years ago.  Great guy.

The Art-O-Mat is fabulous, but that’s not the point of my post. The point is my mother is a merchandise genius. She has THE best eye, and that’s probably why she gets paid to fill a store with tons of tchotch and knick-knacks. I recently saw the Art-O-Mat on Kate Spade’s Behind the Curtain “Things We Love." Well Kate, my mother brought this into the store YEARS ago. She finds the most absurd things that I think will never sell, and those absurd things end up FLYING off the shelves. She had a Twitter account before anyone even knew what Twitter was. Anyway, enough said. I’ve got a cool mom.




No comments:

Post a Comment